Thursday, July 9, 2009

$1 Million PokerStars Turbo Takedown

Last night's highlight was I won a satellite tournament into the $1 Million PokerStars Turbo Takedown on July 26th. The entry fee for the Turbo Takedown is 2000FPP. I guess you have to use FPP's and there is no cash alternative entries.

There are a bunch of satellites to win a ticket to the Turbo Takedown and I chose a more aggressive approach. I played a Super-Turbo 6-max that cost 800FPP's to enter. First and second place won a ticket to the Turbo Takedown and 3rd place got there 800 FPP's back.

This was a super aggressive super fast tournament. The blinds went very quickly and you only started with 500 chips.

At first I was wondering why my opponents were going all-in so often. Any two decent hole cards put most people all-in.

Within a few orbits the blinds were at $25/50 and I was down to $375. I realized then that I only had 5 orbits before I was blinded out. Now I understand.

So I started taking chances with pocket pairs above 66 and AK, KQ. I tried not to go all in in early position with smaller pairs than 66. I won a few uncontested pots and a coin flip or two.

Soon it was down to just 4 of us. Then 3. Once it hit 3, I at least got my 800 FPP's back. But almost a minute after it got to 3 players, the other two players went all-in and I just watched.

This was a very easy tournament. I barely played at all and just let the other opponents take most of the risks and knock each other out. I won a ticket to the Turbo Takedown almost by default.

The turbo takedown is going to be a huge donkfest for the first 1/2 - 2/3. One in three players will make ITM for $35. The tournament is capped at 30,000 players and will fill up. I hear it used to cost 10,000 FPP's to enter this tournament. This time around it is only 2000 FPP's and ITM is 33%. Wow.

First place prize is a cool $40,000. Final table starts at $4000.

I am not sure how I will do since this is a Turbo tournament. But normally I am good for the top 15% - which means if the turbo doesn't get out of hand, I should make at least $70.

This tournament happens every last Sunday - so I may play this each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment