Friday, September 4, 2009

My Biggest Tournament Win So Far


After playing Texas Holdem online for over five years now I won my biggest tournament yesterday. It is not much in comparison to others, to be sure, but we do have to count all of our successes.

I felt like gambling last night. Sometimes you just get that itch. Actually I felt like playing a tournament where I could win some serious dough. After thinking what I would be willing to risk and what reward would be sufficient, I came to decide on MTT's. My normal STT $11 9-man's were too boring for that night.

My bankroll was $250 or so. I fired up three tournaments:

$11 27-Man MTT SitNGo - I placed 12th.

$16 18-Man MTT SitNGo - I placed 8th.

Neither were ITM. I did well all considering. I lost each tournament with the best hand, but was outdrawn.

I also made the mistake of playing the $16 Turbo instead of the regular. I may have done better in that tournament if it weren't a Turbo. The blinds go up quickly and by the time I made the final table it was all-in or fold.

The tournament I did place ITM was:

$22 27-Man MTT SitNGo - I placed 1st. WooHoo!

That payday was a sweet $200!

It cost me $50 to play those three tournaments and I made $200. I could easily have not placed ITM in all three tournaments. So it was a lucky day for me.

Now my bankroll sits at a very much improved $400. Another $140 and I am back to where I started 4-5 months ago. Doh!

This weekend is a three day memorial day weekend. I plan to play a lot of poker - assuming my wife lets me....lol. I wear the pants in my house...but my wife chooses what pants I wear. Ha!

Anyways, I plan to stick to my $11 9-Man STT's. I need to know if I am a overall winning STT tournament player. Even with my sick losing streaks of losing 7 tournaments in a row three times out of 50 games - I am still +ROI with 37% ITM. If I do well this weekend I should be able to push that ITM up to above 40%.

Yesterday was the first day of the WCOOP (World Championship Of Online Poker) at poker stars. I don't really have the bankroll or time to play in the WCOOP satellites - but I think I may try a couple any ways. If I win a seat in one of the $215 NL games that would be awesome.

I have a lot of work to do with my poker bankroll. I am still looking for the right fit for making consistent profits. There are so many ways to play Texas Holdem and each way requires a different skill set and the players have different skill levels.

My immediate goal is to have a bankroll that supports a specific level and style of Texas Holdem that I can win at that allows me to consistently withdraw $100 a week.

The way it will work is once I determine a level I can win consistently at, I will withdraw $100 a week regardless of if I win or lose that week. It all averages out after a few months. My bankroll needs to be large enough to stand the swings in variance and allow me to withdraw $400 a month.

That is the goal.

I may be able to reach that goal with the $22 9-man STT's. I would need to play at least 45 a week at at least 10% ROI. That should be attainable 4 tabling. I do think I can consistently beat the $22's. I did good a few years ago at this level.

Of course $400 a month is just the first goal. Once I know I can reach that consistently, I want to find a more profitable game for my time. I would like to grind the $11 or $22 27- man MTT's. I have had a lot of success at placing ITM in 27-man MTT's.

The overall goal, I think, is to be able to withdraw $1000 a week. That would be awesome. Some people do that 20-Tabling $16 9-man SitNGo's. So the goal is reachable - but I don't have that kind of time - or skill level - yet.

Another goal would be to consistently play in the Sunday Million on Poker Stars.

Of course what I need to do is get a bankroll over at Full Tilt Poker. I get a 27% rake-back paid weekly at FTP. FTP's software is soooo fast. Poker Stars has a great VIP program that can be converted into cash. But I prefer the cold hard cash of a rake-back. A 27% rake-back easily converts into 15-30% of my winnings overall - so it is a big addition to my winnings - currently which I am missing out on.

1 comment:

  1. I sounds like you are a guy that knows how to handle the stress that comes with the decisions playing poker make you take.
    Winning Man MTT SitNGo 1st place is hust wonderful.
    it's very importent that you pay attention to your bank roll and have an organized plan for it.

    ReplyDelete